Is it possible to know God’s will? Do you recognize when an opportunity is really “yes” by God? In a recent chat with a friend over coffee, we discussed the courage needed to walk through a door that God was opening. How can you tell for certain that God has giving a green light or a red for “don’t go!”
“You have a green light until God turns it red. Go until God says, “No.” Pretty Simple, really!” ~ Graham Cooke. Do you agree or disagree?
The Bible gives us some helps to encourage us in faith leaps. There are ways to know God’s will.
1. His “yes” will keep in you in church. If an opportunity takes you away from attending church, you can be certain it’s not God leading you away. God’s Word tells us not to neglect meeting together for worship (Hebrews 10:25). You don’t need the four walls to worship, but you DO need to remain connected to other believers to be encouraged in faith and unity to build up the body of Christ.
2. His “yes” will keep you in His Word. He won’t lead you to fail nor abandon you to go it alone. His “yes” would never result in a personal compromise or cause you to be disobedient. His “yes” would never go against what has been promised. God can’t lie, or contradict Himself. Now, the devil twists the truth, and tries to get you to doubt what you carry. The enemy is out to steal, kill and destroy and he dislocates your ability to be used by God. Plus he will do anything to get you to doubt that you are hearing God right! Don’t shrink back in fear! (2 Timothy 1:7)
3. His “yes” will keep you close to Him. We have such a relational God and knows every one of our personal details. His “yes” always requires more of Him to accomplish and faith to experience Him in a bigger way. If God is calling you to do something, it will never be outside of His will for you. Many times that looks like we are being stretched and strengthed. God is not going to give you something that will alienate you from Him or lead you to believe that you no longer need him. Hebrews 11:6 says: “And without faith it is impossible to please him, for he who comes to God must believe that he is and that he is a rewarder of those who seek him.”
4. His “yes” will line up with the gifts He put inside of you. God will equip you to what He has called you to do. Never forget that He is the best skills trainer we know. And that means letting Him develop what He has put inside of you. You were made in His image, and our creative God loves to have His way with you. Often that requires us to step outside our comfort zone to discover the God-given abilities He has crafted on the inside (Ephesians 2:10). When things get tough (and they will) remember God measures not by man’s standards, but God looks at the heart, and sees you with His heart of love.
5. His “yes” will always be a “yes”. We have a good, good Father who is always on your side and in a good mood. If you ever thought He was out to get you, punish you, or spank you, well…you have a skewed picture of who loves you. His “yes” is His will for you and when you sense that this is “too good to be true” remember Luke 1:37 ” For nothing is impossible with God.” Remembering the context of this promise to Mary, the mother of Jesus, she was found highly favored and annointed to be the mother of Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world!. That was her chosen role in the history of Christ, and her purpose and destiny. God has the same important role for you to carry too! What looks impossible is possibly setting you up for a miracle!
Many times an “yes” from God is often missed because of fear. We make decisions on two ideas according to Dr. Caroline Leaf, either faith or fear. I choose faith, although sometimes I miss the mark too, it’s the goal of God to grow us and carry Christ-likeness.
Micah 6:8 says it simply, “He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the Lord require of you except to be just, and to love [and to diligently practice] kindness (compassion), And to walk humbly with your God [setting aside any overblown sense of importance or self-righteousness].” (AMP)
Remember His “yes” works FOR you! God’s grace goes before each one of us and faith always trumps fear!